Secondary Suites Grant Program:
What is the Grant Program?
The Secondary Suite Grant Program offers a grant of up to $25,000 to cover up to 70 % of the costs of developing or upgrading a legal secondary suite. It was launched in April 2009 and will run until December 2012.
How can I apply?
· Check out your eligibility by answering the questions below.
· Grant Program Brochure: download & read.
· Grant Application Form: download, complete, sign and return.
· Grant Agreement: download, complete, sign and return.
· Questions? Call Jacquie Mercier Mc-Murrer on 403-268-5406.
If you answer YES to these questions then you are eligible to apply for the Grant Program…
· Is your property within a land-use district that allows a secondary suite?
Visit calgary.ca/myproperty to find out what your land-use district is.
Visit calgary.ca/secondarysuites to find out if your land-use district allows secondary suites.
· Is your property a single detached home?
(i.e. You don't share any walls with a neighbour)
· Are you the registered property owner?
· Do you live in the primary home?
· Are you prepared to rent out your suite at no more than the maximum rent for 5 years?
· Are you prepared to accept all the terms of the Grant Agreement?
What do I have to agree to?
· You must contribute a minimum of 30% of the costs of developing or upgrading your suite.
· The rent you charge must be no more than the average market rent for a similar property in Calgary. This is currently $855 (including utilities). This information is updated each year in the Calgary Mortgage and Housing Corporation rental review - www.cmhc.ca.
· You must enter into the Grant Agreement and your suite must be available for rent for 5 years.
· You must live in the home throughout the Grant Agreement term.
· You must provide information annually to show that your suite was available for rent at no more than an average market rent.
What is a secondary suite?
A secondary suite (also known as a basement suite, mother-in-law suite or granny suite) is a self-contained living space located on the same property as a detached house. It has a separate entrance, cooking, sleeping and bathing facilities. For more information, go to calgary.ca/secondarysuites.
Is a secondary suite a good idea for me?
You can often avoid conflicts about noise, utility costs, privacy, sharing the backyard, laundry, etc. by ensuring you have an agreement in writing, which you've discussed in advance and that both you and your tenant have signed. As a landlord you have rights and responsibilities, which you need to be aware of before you make the decision to rent out your suite. You can get more information from servicealberta.ca, landlordandtenant.org, and calapt.org.
Why is The City offering a Grant Program?
The City of Calgary is offering a Secondary Suites Grant Program as part of the Enterprise Housing Program. The Enterprise Housing Program is designed to incent the private and non-profit sectors to produce housing that is affordable.